ICCT Live Briefing: How Terror Evolves
On 25 February 2020, from 1600-1730 CET (GMT+1), the International Centre for Counter-Terrorism – The Hague (ICCT) hosted an ICCT Live Briefing, followed by a Q&A session, via Zoom.
The ICCT Live Briefing was about terrorist tactical innovation. Dr. Yannick Veilleux-Lepage was the keynote speaker, as he recently published the book “How Terror Evolves: The Emergence and Spread of Terrorist Techniques”. Veilleux-Lepage explained the evolution of terrorist techniques, and how and why terrorist groups innovate upon, transform, and abandon techniques of political violence to advance their causes. Dr Veilleux-Lepage furthermore discussed the impact of counterterrorism on the evolution of terrorism, notably through research on aircraft hijacking. Professor Maura Conway and Dr. Tim Wilson provided additional commentary on the wider implications of this research and on terrorist innovation more broadly. The Briefing was concluded with a very interesting Q&A!
- Dr. Yannick Veilleux-Lepage, Assistant Professor of Terrorism and Political Violence at Leiden University
- Dr. Maura Conway, Paddy Moriarty Professor of Government and International Studies at Dublin City University
- Dr. Tim Wilson, Director of CSTPV and Senior Lecturer at University of St Andrews
For related readings on terrorism, please read:
- An end to the War on Terrorism
- Do We Really Understand What the Comprehensive Approach is All About in Counter-Terrorism and Counter-Radicalisation?
- Egypt’s Aviation Security since the metrojet bombing
- Forecasting the Unpredictable: A Review of Forecasts on Terrorism 2000-2012