2018 Advanced Summer Programme: Preventing, Detecting and Responding to the Violent Extremist Threat
Register now for the Advanced Summer Programme: Preventing, Detecting and Responding to the Violent Extremist Threat organised by ICCT and Leiden Universities Center for Professional Learning from 20 August to the 24 August 2018 in The Hague.
Preventing violent extremism is a ‘wicked problem’ – a dynamic tangle of complex issues, a wide range of stakeholders and no clean-cut, obvious solutions. Tackling this problem requires a networked approach where all actors work together in a joint and coordinated effort. From security services, policy makers, lawyers and academics to youth workers, teachers, parents and other actors, all stakeholders have their own role to play. Each stakeholder, in turn, works from the premise of their own specific perspectives, authorities, interests and limitations. In order to ensure effective prevention measures, strengthen public resilience and increase on-time signaling and addressing of radicalisation, it is vital to understand the position and role of network partners.
This advanced summer programme, organised by the Centre for Professional Learning of Leiden University and the International Centre for Counter-Terrorism – The Hague (ICCT), provides insights into the opportunities and challenges of a networked approach to prevention. In an intensive five-day course, participants will meet academics, experts and practitioners and discuss the latest dilemmas and trends in the field of preventing violent extremism and how these dilemmas influence the public debate. Furthermore, participants will work on cases to distinguish the various roles and limitations of different stakeholders and how these relate to each other in their joint efforts to prevent violent extremism.
After completion of the summer programme, participants will have:
- Insights in the latest dilemmas and trends in the field of preventing violent extremism;
- Insights in the opportunities and challenges of a networked approach and the (im)possibilities of multidisciplinary cooperation and information sharing;
- Proper understanding of the various organisations and stakeholders active in the field of preventing radicalisation and violent extremism and their various roles, perspectives, authorities, interests and limitations;
- Reflected on one’s own role and position in the field of preventing radicalisation and violent extremism;
- Expanded one’s network of international experts in the field of preventing violent extremism.
- Registration is now open. Please follow this link to register.
Two Programmes for a Discounted Price
Following this summer programme, participants have the opportunity to enroll in a complementary summer programme that focuses on the legal aspects of countering terrorism. This programme is organised by the T.M.C. Asser Instituut and ICCT. Participants can register for one or both of the programmesParticipants who wish to register for both summer programmes (preventing violent extremism organised by Leiden University and Rule of Law organised by the Asser Institute) can do so for a discounted price of €2995. Please contact email@example.com if you wish to register for the combined summer programme discount package.