2020 Advanced Summer Programme: Terrorism, Counter-Terrorism and the Rule of Law
Register now for the Advanced Summer Programme on terrorism, counter-terrorism and the rule of law (online) organised by ICCT and T.M.C. Asser Institute from 24 August to the 28 August 2020 in The Hague.
In trying to pre-empt terrorism related activities as early as feasible, states have further introduced additional preparatory and inchoate offences, curbs on financial and other support, limitations on the scope of the right to freedom speech and others. How proportional and legitimate are these measures? Are they effective?
During an intensive week, experts, academics and practitioners will explore international and domestic legal aspects of counter-terrorism. You will get the chance to have a unique and in-depth look at the challenges that come with adopting and implementing counter-terrorism measures, while ensuring respect for human rights, fundamental freedoms and the rule of law. Our renowned summer programme will bring you lectures by top speakers in the field, interactive sessions, study visits, group discussions (Chatham House Rules) and panel presentations on current topics.
Speakers and topics in 2020
Our 2020 list of confirmed speakers include:
- Prof. Isabelle Duyvesteyn (Leiden University)
- Rebecca Mignot-Mahdavi (ICCT/TMC Asser Institute)
- Dr Rumyana van Ark (ICCT/Asser Institute)
- Dr Jessie Blackbourn (Durham University)
- Prof. Richard English (Queen’s University Belfast)
- Dr Devyani Prabhat (University of Bristol)
- Prof. Fiona de Londras (University of Birmingham)
- Prof. Jan Wouters (KU Leuven)
- Dr Eefje de Volder and Dr Anne-Marie de Brouwer (IMPACT)
- Dr Christophe Paulussen (ICCT/Asser Institute)
- Reinier Bergema (ICCT)
Have a look at last year’s programme, which covered a wide range of topics such as:
- The (lack of a) definition of terrorism in international law
- Legal limits to military responses to terrorism
- Criminal justice responses to terrorism
- The crime-terror nexus
- Evidentiary issues (including evidence collection from a battlefield)
- Prosecutorial challenges, administrative and security measures.
2019 study visits
In previous years, we have hosted speakers such as Prof. Helen Duffy (Leiden University), Prof. Fiona de Londras (University of Birmingham) and Prof. Martin Scheinin (EUI) (former UN Special Rapporteur on the Protection and Promotion of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms while Countering Terrorism).
Key topics: Latest developments in the legal aspects of terrorism & counter-terrorism, administrative and security measures, domestic and international law dilemmas, use of intelligence evidence in counter-terrorism cases, prosecutorial challenges and impact of counter-terrorism on human rights.
Why? The 10th Advanced summer programme on terrorism, counter-terrorism and the rule of law gives you all the necessary tools for the successful implementation of international and domestic legal aspects of counter terrorism in your daily practice. It will provide you with comprehensive knowledge of the legal fundamentals of counter-terrorism and extremism, through interactive study of both the relevant legislation and case law. The course will combine presentations, practical workshop activities and field trips, all led by high-level experts in the field.