Summer Programme: Countering Terrorism in the Post-9/11 World
From 26 – 30 August 2013, ICCT together with the T.M.C. Asser Instituut organised the third advanced summer programme on countering terrorism in a post-9/11 world.
A panel discussion on “The Exodus of European Jihadists to Syria” will be the concluding session of the Summer Programme and open to a wider audience.
There were many debates on how terrorism should be approached. For instance: what is terrorism exactly and what are its root causes? Which legal paradigm is more appropriate in the fight against terrorism? When, and how, should we negotiate with terrorists? Which international law and human rights obligations should be respected and what is the role of NGOs and civil society in countering terrorism? And how can terrorists be tried effectively, both at the national and international level?
The objective of this unique Summer Programme was to provide participants with answers to these fundamental and more practical questions and to give them a deepened understanding of:
· The phenomena of violent radicalisation and terrorism;
· The contemporary methods to counter radicalisation and terrorism;
· The role of civil society, judicial bodies and international organisations in countering terrorism;
· The applicable international and domestic legal frameworks.
Building on the success of the past two summer programmes, this course was delivered by a team of international and national leading experts working in the field of counter-terrorism. Speakers include:
• Dr. Guido Acquaviva (Special Tribunal for Lebanon)
• Prof. Dr. Richard English (University of St Andrews)
• Dr. Alex P. Schmid (ICCT – The Hague)
• Mr. Maajid Nawaz (Quilliam Foundation)
• Prof. Dr. Edwin Bakker (Leiden University & ICCT )
• Mr. Richard Barrett (former Coordinator of the UN al Qaeda/Taliban Monitoring Team – tbc)
In addition, study trips were organised to the Special Tribunal for Lebanon and Eurojust.
The programme was tailored towards professionals with an academic background in areas such as law, security studies, international relations, conflict studies or other related fields who want to expand their knowledge on counter-terrorism. The programme is also open for advanced graduate students who wish to pursue a career in counter-terrorism.
Date: 26 – 30 August 2013
Organiser: T.M.C. Asser Instituut, ICCT
Fee: € 1,695
Venue: T.M.C. Asser Instituut
Address: R.J. Schimmelpenincklaan 20-22
City: The Hague
Country: The Netherlands
For more information on the content of the summer programme, please contact Asser’s Education Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for registration was 9 August 2013; to register, please click here.